This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples — when they see the love you have for each other. ~John 13:34b
God’s Work, Our Hands
We know that worship of God is directly related to service to our neighbor. Service is not something that one does INSTEAD of worship. Service flows forth from the one who worships God in Jesus Christ. We are called to serve God by serving those around us in all the many roles and callings that fill our lives. Worship is at the center of life. From that center, we are Gods’ sent ones. We don’t set aside worship to serve, we are sent from worship to serve. ~Anonymous
Go in peace, serve the Lord!
A few ways to serve at American Lutheran Church:
- Cooking and serving a monthly meal at the homeless shelter
- Emergency Shelter Program—ALC supports HomeWard Bound Homeless Shelter during the winter months, providing volunteer hosts, breakfasts, evening snacks, as well as monetary donations for expenses related to housing the overflow from the shelter
- Shoes for Scholars—provide shoes for children in schools throughout the Grand Valley
- Provide a meal for shut-ins or new parents.
- Participate in one of the many ministries at ALC, ie.:
- Teach Sunday School
- Provide for and help with coffee fellowship
- Help with grounds-keeping
- Funding for various community service organizations such as the Community Food Bank, Western Slope Center for Children, Catholic Outreach Soup Kitchen and Day Center, to name a few.
- Fundraisers and offerings for:
Missional Outreach at ALC
Reaching out and beyond our church walls to serve and support local and global missions
Church in Society Ministry seeks out needs in the community through which the congregation can share in Christian support. This ministry serves monthly meals at the Homeless Shelter, provides gift cards for the “Shoes for Scholars Program” for children throughout the school district and contributes financial aid to community helping agencies such as the Soup Kitchen, Community Food Bank.
Emergency Shelter Project (ESP) ALC supports the Homeless Shelter with volunteers, breakfasts, snacks and financial support for the overflow program during the winter months.
Quilting Ministry This ministry assembles and donates approximately 400 quilts per year. No sewing experience necessary.
Global Outreach Throughout the year, ALC supports people in need via gifts to Lutheran World Hunger, Lutheran Disaster Response, ELCA mission congregations in the Rocky Mountain Synod and our Companion Synods in Madagascar.